The General Idea

Social media makes people stuck and stupid.

I know. I’m a marketer. I work with ‘advertising algorithms’ — have done for 15 years. I read books and attend conferences on ‘how to make products sticky’, ‘how to maximise user engagement’, and so on…

Indeed… one of the co-founders of Facebook has confessed his own sense of guilt:

“I feel tremendous guilt” … “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth.” …“tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works” … “This is a global problem. It is eroding the core foundations of how people behave by and between each other.” - Chamath Palihapitiya, VP for User Growth at Facebook until 2011, Video Interview Clip

One of the big problems of today’s popular social media is simply that it ‘scrolls’. It scrolls infinitely through a sea of disconnected posts. No tags that let you dive deeper. Basic reply and commenting features that bury insights in forgotten debates.

This phenomena is addictive… but there is something even more sinister. It keeps us stupid. It prevents us from building the bigger picture. It evades genuine dialogue.

I remember the good old days of Bulletin Boards, Discussion Forums, and Usenet Groups. Those were the times when you physically had to click on topic titles to explore. When threads of replies allowed you to dig deeper, to reply and respond and rebut.

Mind-Matrix is built using today’s best forum software for intelligent conversation. If you use social media mostly for ‘entertainment’, this site may not appeal to you. But if you seek answers… search for ‘truth’… want to improve yourself and contribute to the lives of other people, then I hope you discover life-lifting intelligence inside this matrix of shared ideas.

Pretty much anything goes. We’ll have to moderate so topics need to fit with the cultural theme of this forum. In other words, don’t be an ass, or your ass is out of here.

Check out the splash page to begin: www.mind-matrix.com